Find out what the City is doing to respond to the Coronavirus (COVID-19) and what you can do.

Georgetown Municipal Court


Am I eligible for a defensive driving course?

If you are charged with a traffic offense, you may be eligible to request that the Judge allow you to take a driving safety course to dismiss the charge. The request must be made on or before the appearance date on your citation, either in person or by mail.  If you were operating a motorcycle and request to take a driving safety course, you must take a motorcycle operator’s training course.

What must I do when I request defensive driving?

At the time of request you must do the following:

  1. plead no contest or guilty;
  2. present proof of financial responsibility valid on the date of your request (with your name listed as driver/policy holder);
  3. present a valid, non-commercial Texas driver’s license – (active duty military and dependents of active duty military can present a valid, non-commercial driver’s license from another state along with their active military I.D.);
  4. sign an affidavit, under oath, stating you have not taken a driving safety course for a traffic offense within the 12 months preceding the date of the current offense;
  5. pay court costs and an administrative fee.

The case will be deferred for 90 days to allow you time to complete the course and submit the required documents.  You must attend a driving safety course that has been approved by the Texas Department of Licensing and Regulation or a motorcycle operator’s course (if applicable) approved by the Texas Department of Public Safety.  You will also be required to submit a copy of your driver record (Type 3A) as maintained by the Texas Department of Public Safety within the 90 days.

What makes me eligible for defensive driving?

  1. You must be charged with a moving offense;
  2. You must not have requested and taken a driving safety course for a traffic offense within the last 12 months preceding the date of the current offense;
  3. Are not currently taking the course for another traffic violation;
  4. Are not a Commercial Driver’s License holder or held a CDL when the offense was committed.
  5. Have NOT committed one of the following offenses:
  • Speeding 25 MPH or more over the posted speed limit;
  • Speeding 95 MPH or more regardless of posted speed limit;
  • Failure to give information at the accident scene;
  • Duty to give information and aid (leaving the scene of an accident);
  • Fleeing or attempting to elude a Police Officer;
  • Overtaking and passing a school bus;
  • A serious traffic violation as defined in Section TRC 522.003 (T.C.);
  • Any violation while operating a commercial motor vehicle;
  • An offense in a construction or maintenance zone when workers were present.

What happens if I do not complete a defensive driving course within the required time?

If you do not file the uniform certificate of completion of the driving safety course or a verification of completion of the motorcycle operator training course and your 3A driving record by the due date, you will be required to appear to show cause why the evidence was not timely submitted to the court.  If you have good reason why you were unable to present these requirements within the time required, the judge may, but is not required to, grant you an extension.  If you fail to appear  or fail to show good cause for non-compliance, the court will enter judgment and impose sentencing.

Where do I find defensive driving programs?

Once granted to take a drivers safety course, the website below will provide information on course providers that have been approved by the Texas Department of Licensing and Regulation.

Course Providers

**Some providers offer courses for ticket dismissal as well as courses to obtain a drivers license.  It is your responsibility to make sure you sign up for the correct course for ticket dismissals.

Local defensive driving programs can also be found in the phone book under ‘Driving Instruction.’

*These programs are private businesses that are not affiliated with the City of Georgetown.

What is deferred adjudication?

Deferred disposition is an alternative sentencing option that the Judge has the discretion to grant upon a plea of no contest or guilty.

If you are not eligible for a driving safety course or you were cited for offenses other than a moving violation, you may be eligible. To request deferred disposition, you must be scheduled for a court appearance and speak to the prosecutor.

What methods of payment are accepted?

We accept money orders, cashier’s checks, personal checks, Visa, Mastercard, and Discover.  We accept cash if paying in person. Please do not send cash through the mail or after hours drop box.

If your charges have gone to warrant, we DO NOT accept personal checks.

Are you open during lunch hours?

The Municipal Court is open Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, and Friday from 8:00 a.m. until 5:00 p.m.  On Thursday, we are open 8:00 a.m. until noon.

How long do I have to pay for my ticket?

You may pay or contact the court by the appearance date that is noted on your citation.  We also offer an online payment option at

If I have a warrant, what do I do?

If you have a warrant with the City of Georgetown, you may post a bond to set a court date,  pay the fine in full, or contact the court for other available options. Once a warrant has been issued, we only accept payment by credit card, cashier’s check, money order, or cash.

If my ticket isn’t with the City of Georgetown, where else would I go?

Tickets issued by State Highway Patrol Officers or by Williamson County Sheriff’s Deputies are not filed in the Georgetown Municipal Court, but are filed with one of the Justice of the Peace courts. For contact information, see our “Overview” page and scroll down to “Other Area Courts.”


Print Friendly, PDF & Email